[Sca-cooks] Viking Cookbook?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jan 5 23:43:00 PST 2002

To my knowledge, there is no webbed translation of the Harpestreng cookbook
(I did a quick check of the Grewe collection webbed at the University of
Barcelona just in case), but there is a current English translation
published by the University of Arizona Press under the title Libellus de
Arte Coquinaria, which is its formal title.  The book is described as
follows:

Edited & translated by Rudolf Grewe & Constance B. Hieatt. "The collection
of medieval culinary recipes here...probably dates from the early 13th
Century... this critical edition of 35 recipes from four Danish, Icelandic,
and Low German mss records culinary themes that wer e to flourish throughout
the later Middle Ages? The volume includes translations, textual notes, a
commentary, and detailed indices covering utensils, procedures, ingredients,
dishes, and a glossary for each of the three languages."

If you are interested, you might check with Devra the Baker at Poison Pen
Press  ( http://www.poisonpenpress.com ) to see if she has a copy available.

Bear

>I don't suppose there is a webbed version in English?  Even a French
version
>would be helpful to me.  With my familiarity with Enlish, Portuguese and
French,
>I can pick up just enough words to aggravate myself at not being able to
string
>them into a cohesive whole.
>
>Quomodo = how?, muscat = nutmeg?, piepaer = pepper?, thiuk miaelk af
ammandaels
>= thick milk of almonds?, etc....   In short, aaagghh!
>
>Faerisa
/listinfo/sca-cooks