[Sca-cooks] ...thoughts on period-style food?

Mon Jan 7 11:56:55 PST 2002

> > Considering the cost of such items we use without
> > thinking about, such as salt, sugar, and basic black
> > pepper, they would use generally less of these things
> > than we would.
>
> I'm sorry, I would like to see any proof of these allegations
> about the
> use of black pepper and salt. From buying records, it looks
> as if people
> used more black pepper than we do.

I have to admit, I would like to see the documentation on all of this,
although I think the generalization, "they would use generally less of these
things than we would" may be correct despite the buying records.

There are some analyses which suggest that during the Middle Ages and
Renaissance prior to Portugal opening direct spice trade with India, Europe
imported a total of 300 to 350 tons of spices annually.  In 1983, the United
States alone imported 192,500 tons or about 1.5 pounds of spices per capita.

> > reflecting the fact that folk above the salt were
> > grand enough to be given the luxury of extra salt if
> > they wanted it- it was too expensive to be given out
> > to mere servants, other than what might be already in
> > their food.
>
> Documentation for this statement? I have never heard that salt was not
> available. Certainly in one's own home salt would be
> available, as salt
> was purchased by middle class people, such as priests and others.
>
> -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa

Documentation please.  Salt was a commodity, but it was readily available in
Europe, so I seriously doubt that anyone got shorted on salt unless they
were too poor to buy it.

The idea of "mere servants" is more Victorian than Medieval.  Most of the
members of a household, noble or yeoman, were in service to the master or
mistress of the house and in turn were served by the house for their needs.
A large part of the prestige of the house was how well it cared for its
retainers.  Men temporarily hired for their skills are a different matter,
but they were usually masters or journeymen of their chosen art and were not
treated as "mere servants."

"Above the salt," there's an interesting phrase.  Presumably, it and "below
the salt" are phrases based on an custom of placing a Saltfoot, or great
salt cellar on the table and placing distinguished visitors on the end
nearest the head of the table (above the salt) and placing dependents,
inferiors and poor relation on the end furthest from the head of table
(below the salt).

Seeing it reminds me of a curious fact.  I do not remember encountering this
"custom" in any of the period etiquette manuals I've read.  I know that Ben
Jonson used the phrase "below the salt," but much of his work is early 17th
Century.  At the moment, I'm far from my OED and can't check on when these
phrases first appeared and I wonder if this is an "ancient custom" that is
not so ancient (at least with Jonson involved, it seems to originate before
Victoria).

Bear