[Sca-cooks] Salt and pepper

KazOShea at aol.com KazOShea at aol.com
Mon Jan 7 16:20:29 PST 2002

To throw in my 2 pence. I am citing from 'Th Elizabethan Renaissance' A.L.
Rowse. And his citation is for the Fairfax household for the year of 1580 and
the household account is for the entire year.
'Pepper, 30lb at 2 shillings a pound'
I know very little about the Fairfax household and have only encountered them
in this one book. I am sure others may have more information about them. But
from what I know of the times 2 shillings was a lot of money. The average
laborers wage was 2 -3 Pounds for the year. ( 20 shillings to the Pound if I
remember correctly). The Fairfax household spent a laborers entire wages on
just one spice product.
BTW their total expenditures on spices for the year were 17 Pounds 4
shillings 6 pence.
 There are more spices mentioned but since we are just talking about pepper.

Iago