[Sca-cooks] EK12N, or, I am a Cook and a Captain Bold

Huette von Ahrens ahrenshav at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 7 17:18:37 PST 2002

Adamantius wrote:

>For a kingdom event, even one half the size of
>Atlantia's, this would be
>insanity, particularly one where, due to a recent
back >injury, there was
>some question as to the extent that I'd be able to
>walk. Consequently I
>spent most of the day seated in a chair, calling out
>orders, trying to
>get people to duplicate, for example, my aggressive
>seasoning style,
>without actually being close enough to the person or
>the food to see
>what was going on. It was kind of like a game of
>telephone at times, and
>resulted in more-or-less-shouted conversations like
>this:
>
>"How much salt do you want in this?"
>
>"Too much."
>
>"What? What the h**l does that mean?!?"
>
>"Start adding salt. Continue adding it until there's
>enough. Then add
>some more, and continue, slowly, until the _exact_
>point where you say,
>d**n, that's too much salt. Then stop immediately."

My question is:

Why the h**l would you want to oversalt a dish and
make it inedible?

I know that there are different interpretations of
what is considered "enough", but I have always felt
that when it comes to salt and cooking for the masses,
it is better to undersalt so that others can add more
as they please.  Nothing is worse than making a dish
taste so horrible as to be too salty.

Now, if you were talking cinnamon or ginger or nutmeg,
that would be another thing ... :-)

Huette

=====
shall never cease to be amused.