[Sca-cooks] EK12N, or, I am a Cook and a Captain Bold

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Jan 7 18:57:11 PST 2002

Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> I know that there are different interpretations of
> what is considered "enough", but I have always felt
> that when it comes to salt and cooking for the masses,
> it is better to undersalt so that others can add more
> as they please.  Nothing is worse than making a dish
> taste so horrible as to be too salty.

Whereas I have always, or at least I do, feel that they shouldn't have
to add more, and that while it is not possible to get it exactly right
for 100% of the people on the planet, it _is_ possible to get it right
for 99%, maybe 99.5% of the people in a feast hall, and that was my
goal. Except, of course, for those on really low-sodium diets who will,
of course, have contacted me weeks before the event. But, oddly enough,
in this case, didn't. (Actually, I had a total of one lactose intolerant
and a couple who ate no pork or seafood but adjudged the remainder of my
menu plenty of food, and one vegetarian who asked me on the day...).

Certainly I'm not advocating the use of ridiculous amounts of salt, but
I feel food tastes better when it has been seasoned properly in the
first place, has had a little time to penetrate into the food, etc.
Actually, what actually drives me utterly bonkers are people who add
salt as a matter of course before even tasting their food. In my
opinion, they deserve every last shred of the abuse heaped on them by
Lenny Henry's Chef character. (And while I don't remember the diatribe
word for word, I remember it was good stuff.;-) )

> Now, if you were talking cinnamon or ginger or nutmeg,
> that would be another thing ... :-)

I think I will leave the basic and fundamental illogic of this statement for another time ;-). Perhaps tomorrow...

Adamantius, still a bit tired...
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com