[Sca-cooks] Recipes was Following a recipe... rambling...

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 8 07:06:15 PST 2002

>At 04:11 PM 01/07/2002 -0500, you wrote:
>>Yes  juggling three courses at different temps was horrendous at atlan
>>12th
>>night.Beef chicken savory toasted cheese etc.All waiting to hit the breach
>>for the servers and
>>400 lords and ladies  . The statements below are so true and if study is
>>not
>>put into it  things can go wrong very wrong for newbie cooks.
>
>While I agree with those statements too, I certainly would hope that a
>newbie cook wouldn't be in charge of such an event!!!  <shudder>
>

>Gorgeous Muiredach

Well Gorgeous, it doesn't take too long, in our Guild, to get to the point
that you feel confident enough to go way beyond your expectations.  No.  I
am not saying that a newbie should suddenly be put in charge of a kitchen at
a large event.  I am saying that, at least here, folks are encouraged to
reach for that goal.  The folks that are _very_ experienced work step by
step with you showing you all the ropes along the way so the entire thing is
a whole wonderful learning experience.  They teach you anything you want to
know about portion control, budget, buying, bookkeeping, menu planning
(well, that comes through the whole guild), at our events there are menu
books in course order.  One book just for the head cook, others for the
staff to check.  Our next event, Birthday, next month is featuring a new
head cook.  She has been in the Guild about a year but had not been active
for a time around when her baby was born.  She quickly gained confidence and
has done the helium hand for this event.  Mandy will do well.  She is
planning a two course feast that is not too complex but very nicely shaping
up as a 14th century Venician feast for about 100 folks.

Besides, we always welcome newbies into the kitchen.  Where do you think all
us came from?
Olwen, one of many