[Sca-cooks] Siting in the kitchen....

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jan 8 10:39:33 PST 2002

jenne at fiedlerfamily.net wrote:

 >> Besides which, it just plain doesnt' look professional :-) IMHO,
 >> it also instigates the feeling of "I'm relaxed", and removes the sense
 >>  of urgency I tend to like to work under. Of course, feast isn't
 >> a profesional setting, still...  OTOH, if you do it for
 >> health/pain reasons, you do what you must.  For instance, I've
 >> been seating for (most) everything I do last few years <g>
 >>

 > *sigh* Yes. I'm not a feast cook, just an herbalist and a dayboard
 > cook... with plantar fascitis, which I've had all my life, plus
 > various problems with easily cracked footbones, as far as anyone
 > can tell... so I have to husband my ability to stand for long
 > periods of time. As a result, I generally have people do cutting
 > and chopping tasks sitting down at a table, because that's how I
 > have to do it. It may be less efficient, but I find that a) I tend
 > to concentrate better sitting down, and b) perhaps because of the
 > relaxation response, people are much happier with me sitting down.
 > *grin*

These make perfect sense, generally. Cooking on a large scale is usually
pretty taxing, physically, and you do tend to expend enormous amounts of
calories if you do it regularly/daily. In addition, you tend to either
a) become enormously strong or b) die. I'm kidding, but only a bit.

The first time I really tried to do a lot of work from a chair, or at
least simply spend as much time as possible sitting, was the John
Barleycorn event in Northpass last fall. At the time I remember saying
something about choosing one's battles, conserving strength for the
important things, and awaiting one's turn in the starting pitching
rotation. On many levels it was the ravings of an exhausted madman, but
perhaps because of my current state, it seems to me to make a great deal
of sense on some other levels.

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy