[Sca-cooks] Siting in the kitchen....

AF Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 8 10:38:04 PST 2002

Now, to me, this looks perfectly normal. When I job in to a professional
costume shop, I'm usually standing. Work tables are built at standing
height. Some have high stools that you can sit on for some work, and
tuck under the table to get them out of the way, but many don't. And
even with them, you always stand to pattern, to cut, to press...  and I
just automatically stand for most other work, too. You can reach things
more easily. You get better leverage. Sit at a machine, of course, but
yes, the bouncing up and down gets annoying pretty quickly. You always
have to press a seam, get a new piece, try it on the dummy... One job I
was on, I spent a day re-doing something another stitcher had messed up
the previous day, because she was sitting with the dress bunched up in
her lap, and never did spread it out or put it on the form to see how
how it worked. You need the space.

Now, a well equipped shop will also have a comfortable chair for the
handwork that you can do sitting down, and that gives your back a break,
but many places don't. Oh, yes, the back hurts first, then the legs, and
the feet are last, which always surprises people. And no, Johnna, I'm
not 20 something, I'm just used to it!

Anne