[Sca-cooks] Siting in the kitchen....

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 8 11:35:09 PST 2002

For the Boar Hunt Feast, for which i'm in the kitchen from about 8 AM
until the site closes, say 11 PM, I stay on my feet. If i sit down
for long, i'll realize how much my feet and back hurt, so i try to
stay standing as long as possible. So what if i limp for several days
afterwards :-) I do sit to eat, though, but rather briefly.

I had a volunteer in 2000 who had some problems and needed to sit (he
no longer lives in this area, so i didn't see him this year). The
counters in the site kitchen are of several different heights:
1) a high counter where workers really have to stand - this has two
sides, one parallel to the stove and one parallel to the really high
counter over the cupboards;
2) a three-sided lower counter at the far end with its center face
toward the sink which is a prep area early in the day, and something
of a staging area;
3) and really high against the walls with cupboards underneath onto
which we put things like blenders and rice cookers and food
processors, oh, my!

So i dragged a chair into the kitchen and had him sitting at the
lower counter, on the side *away* from the stove  and the sink, and
found things he could do, mostly prep stuff, like shredding salad
greens, paring fruits and vegetables, and other tasks that didn't
need hard cutting. Seemed to work ok, although the chair and counter
weren't a perfect match - can't pull the chair up so knees are under
the counter; and i can't remember, but maybe the counter was a little
higher than a table or desk would be, so it wouldn't be good to work
at for a really long time, but i think it was ok for a few hours.

I imagine Muiredach would also have some useful ideas on this topic.

Anahita