[Sca-cooks] Siting in the kitchen....

Gorgeous Muiredach muiredach at bmee.net
Tue Jan 8 19:12:18 PST 2002

>I imagine Muiredach would also have some useful ideas on this topic.

Huh?  Moi?  Ideas?  really now, ya got to be kiddin' <wink>

Seriously, in a big/production/professional kitchen, I've found the set up
to be aimed at people doing work from a standing position.  Counter
heights, and shelves under the counters, etc.  This is not condusive to
proper ergonomic work from a seated position.  Several points along those
lines have been already made.

My seated position is somewhat different than most of y'all when you are
using a stool/chair to sit in the kitchen, as I *can* move out of the way
rather quickly, etc.

What I found to work the best, for me, is to have a cutting board and place
it directly in my lap.  I am blessed with a flat lap when seated.  My wife
wasn't so lucky, and in order to keep the cutting board even, she at one
point used a cutting board with a cushion mounted under it.

A long time ago, I came up with a few ideas about cooking with a
disability.  Put it on a web site, which I haven't updated in, *eons*.  But
there are still a few things of interest there.  Not only for physical
disabilities, but others.  And also some simple cooking hints and tips...

http://www.geocities.com/NapaValley/5945/heart.html

Note that the email link from there is not valid.  You can send mail from
there, but I won't get it!

Gorgeous Muiredach
Rokkehealden Shire
Middle Kingdom