[Sca-cooks] Handling special diet needs at feasts

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 8 11:49:11 PST 2002

Philippa Alderton wrote:
>I was there too, and a bit later, I talked to the
>vegetarian's partner. His vegetarianism was basicly a
>non-issue. He was an entertainer who didn't know he
>was going to eat until the day of, and his
>vegetarianism was limited to not eating meat-- he
>could eat eggs, fish, poultry, milk, etc and I so
>informed Adamantius.

Well, we've had this conversation (over and over and over), but...

While many vegetarians do eat "animal products" that don't require
the death of the animal, such as eggs and dairy and honey, a
vegetarian does not eat animal flesh - which does require the death
of the animal - and poultry and fish are animals. You said he didn't
eat meat, but chicken flesh *is* meat and so is fish flesh.

If someone eats fish and poultry he isn't a vegetarian, he just
doesn't eat red meat or pork, whatever color we decide that is :-)

I am in no way criticizing this person's choice of foods, but it is a
misnomer to call his diet "vegetarianism". He just appears to
eschewing the flesh of four-legged animals while eating the meat of
creatures with fewer legs...

Anahita,
former non-fanatic vegetarian