[Sca-cooks] Handling special diet needs at feasts

Kirrily Robert skud at infotrope.net
Tue Jan 8 14:47:23 PST 2002

Anahita wrote:

> Well, we've had this conversation (over and over and over), but...
>
> While many vegetarians do eat "animal products" that don't require
> the death of the animal, such as eggs and dairy and honey, a
> vegetarian does not eat animal flesh - which does require the death
> of the animal - and poultry and fish are animals. You said he didn't
> eat meat, but chicken flesh *is* meat and so is fish flesh.

I thought I posted this a little while ago, but it doesn't seem to have
made it through.

I recently wrote an article about catering for vegetarians at SCA
feasts, and would appreciate some feedback on it.  One thing it attempts
to do is explain clearly what vegetarian is, and what the different
forms of vegetarianism are, and what cooks need to consider to cater for
each kind, and that fish are *not* vegetables, despite many common
misconceptions :)

The article's at http://infotrope.net/sca/cooking/veg/ and I'd
appreciate both general comments and contributions to the table of
suitable recipes at the bottom of the article.

Yours,

Katherine

katherine at infotrope.net  http://infotrope.net/sca/