[Sca-cooks] Handling special diet needs at feasts

Nambeanntan at aol.com Nambeanntan at aol.com
Tue Jan 8 19:22:27 PST 2002

In a message dated 1/8/2002 5:00:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
mark.s.harris at motorola.com writes:

> Thanks for the clarification. However, this still doesn't affect
> my questions about how to handle these special situations, nor
> my comments on how making such special dishes complicates the job
> of the headcook,

Stefan,
       When the publicity goes out on an event I cook for, I ask that anyone
with dietary concerns contact me.  In the last six events I was contacted
only once before the event. The gentle couldn't eat pork so I made sure she
had enough chicken to compensate. That was the only special request so I was
her server for that course.

If I get asked before lunch about dinner I will work around requests, I don't
pre cook food or use prepackaged foods very often so that's not a problem.
How I do it with individual dishes varies. I'll ask if there are any others
this person will be seated with and if the altered dish would work for them.
Then I choose a server I've worked with before tell them the plan, show them
the table and person(s).  If it is just one person and I have to do single
servings I tell them to come to the kitchen and pick up the dish themselves
or have someone at there table do it.  I will not tie up a server to cater to
one individual.  Funny thing, when presented with the fact they don't get a
personal butler  most peoples allergies/illnesses clear up.:)

Annan