[Sca-cooks] Handling special diet needs at feasts

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 9 09:06:28 PST 2002

From: "Hrolf Douglasson" <Hrolf at btinternet.com>
>Try it at one of mine
>3 carnivores (have veg gone NEAR this?)
>2 vegatarians
>1 vegan (has meat been near this?)
>1 allergic to meat
>3 onion allergies
>1 nut allergy
>1 wheat intolerant
>and a son who has a wierd digestion and can only tolerate some things some
>days. !!!!

Not criticizing Vara, who has a sense of humor, but i have noticed a
tendency for some people to use the word "carnivore" to mean
"omnivore". Now, true, some of these folks try to avoid green
vegetables, but they often eat potatoes, tomatoes (yes, technically
not a vegetable, but eaten as one in our culture), and others. And
they may well get vegetables they don't even know about in other
prepared foods :-) Do they eat fruit (part of the vegetable world)?
Grains (part of the vegetable world)? I suspect yes. A human can't
really be healthy without some other nutritional inputs than meat,
since humans need minerals and vitamins and other nutrients that meat
generally doesn't contain. So if they eat anything other than just
meat, meat, meat, they are not carnivores...

As for the comment that "i'm a vegetarian" is an easier answer than
"i don't eat red meat" - well, just count the number of syllables...
(humor, humor, humor)

Anahita