[Sca-cooks] Handling special diet needs at feasts

AF Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 8 20:10:44 PST 2002

I think that is excellent. I especially like that you remind people
about stocks - I've had that argument with cooks a few times. "It's not
meat, it's just chicken base!" "Yes, it is meat for anyone avoiding
meat..." Also, notice that lard sometimes sneaks into pastry and baked
goods.

And you are right that people won't think it is "vegetarian food." My
college roomate was vegetarian, and I happily cooked as such with her.
Many of my friends wouldn't eat at our house, convinced that we were
serving some strange stuff... we were eating spaghetti, and omelets, and
soups, and pizza, and curry, and... No reason on earth for it not to be
perfectly good food.

I really like the idea of all ingredients being posted. I was thrilled
at my first SCA feast to be handed a list of ingredients with the dish.
For vegetarians, for people with allergies, for people with religious
preferences... And yes, then do stick to it! (We covered that one in the
allergy discussion, I think...)

Thank you.

Anne