[Sca-cooks] Following a recipe...

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Jan 8 23:18:14 PST 2002

Stefan li Rous wrote:

> Huette said:

> > Yes, but it doesn't comment on how fast or slowly you
> > have to say them.  And, of course, if you aren't
> > Catholic, like me, you wouldn't know how long that
> > would take anyway.  :-)

> So, in your opinion, what would be a reasonable range in time
> for each of these? In other words, when spoken at a normal
> speed and if one was reciting a well-known, memorized set of
> verses? Although I suspect that if this was used as a timing
> piece that it would have been said about the same each time and
> not rushed.

Good question, Stefan, especially since some of the kids I knew who grew
up Catholic could recite things at light speed. I suspect there was a
standard cadence used for timing, as opposed to the one used by an
11-year-old boy who wants to go out to play ;-)

And tangental to teh subject- I was taught by my science teacher in
middle school to count 'one hippopotomus, two hippopotomus...' because
you really can't rush it without tripping over your tongue, but you can
rush the 'thousands' until they're mush. I find hippopotomae very useful
for counting purposes!

'Lainie