[Sca-cooks] Handling special diet needs at feasts

Tara Sersen Boroson tsersen at nni.com
Wed Jan 9 05:23:35 PST 2002

> The problem is that a number of people (and I know some of them...) do,
> incorrectly, call themselves vegetarians while eating fish. I have

I don't think it's used "incorrectly" so much as people get sick of
having to explain in detail what they do and don't eat over and over
again.  If you're trying to explain that you're unlikely to find
anything you'll eat on a menu, and therefore will skip the feast, does
the full explaination really make a difference?  "Vegetarian" is close
enough, and if it misleads a few people to believe that you don't eat
fish or poultry as well as red meat, well, no harm done.  Such people
will explain it more fully to the people who influence their diets more
often.  I have often described my diet as "vegetarian" to strangers
rather than the more complicated description, though anybody who knows
me even vaguely well understands what I do and don't in fact eat.

-Magdalena