[Sca-cooks] Handling special diet needs at feasts

AF Murphy afmmurphy at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 9 08:58:29 PST 2002

The problem isn't what they, or you, say when they are skipping the
feast. I can understand not wanting to go into detail then, and it
doesn't matter. Lots of things I don't go into detail about, if it isn't
likely to come up as an immediate issue.

  The problem is the people who are looking to be accommodated, and then
use the phrase incorrectly. I've carefully gone to coffee shops with
friends so they could order salad or an omelet, only to have them get
fish, which we could have had anywhere! Then, I've had other people, who
knew those people, assume they could serve tuna salad to the real
vegetarians... OTOH, a few vegans just call themselves vegetarian, and
further complicate life. (I don't call myself anything, I just very
rarely eat meat... but since I am willing to eat it, I never bring it up
as an issue. But I do often look for meatless choices.)

There is a standard definition for the word. Those of us who are trying
to be helpful would appreciate it if we were always on the same page!

Anne