[Sca-cooks] Organically produced foods

Mary Denise Smith costumemag at costumemag.com
Wed Jan 9 14:21:46 PST 2002

I have worked in the organic foods industry off and on for years, and I
buy organically produced items whenever I can.

Magdalena is correct in all her points, and I would add that sustainable
agriculture is most efficient at the "small" or "family" farm level.
These farms can certainly be large (compared to a backyard garden!), but
they are not the mono-crop monsters that the huge multi-national
conglomerate farms are.

Of course, for those interested in historic foodways, food produced
without benefit of DDT, genetic modifications, et al is more "period
correct" anyway!

MD/Marged