[Sca-cooks] Handling special diet needs at feasts

Diana Skaggs upsxdls_osu at ionet.net
Fri Jan 11 03:38:42 PST 2002

At 06:53 PM 1/9/02 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm not squeamish about killing an animal... but I am
>squeamish about the prospect of doing it wrong and having to chase a
>half-dead, frantic-from-pain animal around my yard.
>
>-Magdalena

We used to buy chickens from a farm and take them into town to butcher.  To
avoid chasing down headless chickens, Dad hung loops of lightweight rope
from Mom's clotheslines and hung the chickens by their feet.  Then he used
a very sharp, very heavy butcher knife to quickly remove their heads. They
still flapped around, but couldn't go anywhere.  He said they bled out
better, too.
Of course, the process fascinated the neighborhood kids, whose parents
would only get upset if the kids came home covered in blood.

Liadan