[Sca-cooks] Handling special diet needs at feasts

Tara Sersen Boroson tsersen at nni.com
Wed Jan 9 15:53:49 PST 2002

> This, at least, makes some sense, but having dealt
> with both slaughterhouses for cattle and beef, and
> chicken slaughtering factories, frankly I'd worry
> about the chickens first. You don't want to know, but
> considering my rather liberal habits, I ALWAYS soak
> chicken in salted water for at least half an hour-
> longer, like overnight, if I have the time.

I know, and I regret that.  My inability to give up poultry has always
been my big moral failing... ;)  But, since I *do* eat it frequently, as
opposed to red meat, I always buy organic, or at least Bell and Evans
Free-Range.  It's only at restaurants or other people's houses that I
eat conventional poultry.

> Question. Have you ever done your own slaughtering and
> butchering? If not, why not? Lack of knowledge, or
> lack of facilities, or perhaps both?

Both.  I actually would like to learn to slaughter and butcher poultry,
at least, since I can raise them here without getting a zoning variance.
    I don't know who can teach me to slaughter, though.  I've seen a few
books on the subject, but I hesitate to do it without a real live
teacher.  I'm not squeamish about killing an animal... but I am
squeamish about the prospect of doing it wrong and having to chase a
half-dead, frantic-from-pain animal around my yard.

-Magdalena