[Sca-cooks] Sugar Plate/Paste; Stained Glass Sugar

Rob Downie rdownie at icenter.net
Wed Jan 9 16:53:09 PST 2002

The stained glass candy is simple and beautiful, but never really used in
period as far as I,ve seen.  If that doesn't bother you, all you need are
hard candies in various colours ( lifesavers, etc.) hammered down to a
powder.  I've seen this done two ways: Either make a cookie background
with cut aways where you want the glass (like champleve enameling), or
spread your powdered candies on a sheet of aluminum foil and cut out the
designs after your oven melted "glass" comes out of the oven.  It only
takes a couple of minutes to melt, use a medium heat and keep a close
watch!

The first method makes it tricky to do large areas of "glass".  The
second method Is used to make windows in gingerbread houses that you glue
in place with royal icing.  In my experience, it's quite a pain to mix
different colours together in a pattern, the edges blurr any way.  If
your design is made of easy enough components, you can cut them to shape
and attatch with icing.  You could even backlight it with a candle to get
a real stained glass window effect!

Both the sugar plate and the stained glass sugar should last for weeks or
more as long as you don't let them get exposed to humidity.  One thing to
beware of with the sugar paste is that it dries very quickly.  You have
to keep unused portions covered while you work.

Faerisa