[Sca-cooks] Sugar Plate/Paste; Stained Glass Sugar

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 9 16:14:49 PST 2002

I recently came into a bunch of old "Compleat Anacronists" and "TIs"
from an old friend. "TI" issue 103, summer 1992, has an article by
Alys Katharine (Elise Fleming) (known to this list) which has some
suggestions for making the stuff.

So I am toying with the idea of making one or two Sugar Plate
sotilties for a feast i'll be cooking in September. One would be the
arms of the Principality of the Mists which will need to be white (no
problem), green (not hard), blue (a little tougher with natural
vegetable products - i'll see if i can find dried cornflowers aka
batchelors buttons). The other, a musical instrument (a hammer
dulcimer - for specific reasons - i'll simplify it).

I'm also consulting the Florilegium on the topic, many of the
articles are also by Dame Alys.

Now, a few questions:

Any suggestions for natural blue coloring besides cornflowers? I
don't care if it isn't exactly heraldic blue.

I'm also intrigued by the "stained glass" sugar, but i'm only finding
scattered mentions in the Florilegium. Anyone here have any
experience? (seems many are made of melted "Life Savers") I might
make the device of the guest of honor instead of the musical
instrument...

Realistically, how far ahead of time can i make these?

Any other helpful hints? things to beware of?

Anahita