[Sca-cooks] Butchering

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Wed Jan 9 22:54:46 PST 2002

Gorgeous Muiredach said:
> For what it's worth, I'll be teaching a butchering class at Pennsic
> next.  Not slaughtering, as that would likely not be too "kosher" with the
> local health inspectors.  Besides, the Good Gentles from Pennsic freaked at
> the thought :-)

It's not the local health inspectors that are the problem. It is that
the Pennsic rules now explicitly say that slaughtering of live
animals during Pennsic is forbidden. This was due to an unfortunate
incident which resulted in a wounded animal running amok through
part of Pennsic.

When Phlip taught her class during Pennsic several years ago, we
made arrangements to do this offsite.

> If all goes according to plan, it will be held in Blackstar encampment
> (thank you Chirhart), in the second week of War.
>
> I'll cover small beasts, such as rabbits, chicken, duck, quails, and?

That maybe a lot for one class. Is this going to be a hands-on class?
Or more of a demo one? I hope you will be making more announcements
here closer to Pennsic. I'm afraid I won't remember the details, and
maybe not the class, if I only see the info now.

> I'm planning to finish preparing the outline/syllabus next week, if any of
> you are interested, let me know, I'll share.

Please do.

   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net