[Sca-cooks] Butchering

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 10 07:04:25 PST 2002

--- Gorgeous Muiredach <muiredach at bmee.net> wrote:
> At 05:53 PM 1/9/2002, you wrote:
>
> >--- Tara Sersen Boroson <tsersen at nni.com> wrote:
> >
> > > Both.  I actually would like to learn to
> slaughter
> > > and butcher poultry,
>
> For what it's worth, I'll be teaching a butchering
> class at Pennsic
> next.  Not slaughtering, as that would likely not be
> too "kosher" with the
> local health inspectors.

> I'll cover small beasts, such as rabbits, chicken,
> duck, quails, and?

OK, question here. When we did our lamb, one of the
reasons I included slaughtering was because I didn't
want to think about trying to deal with a
pre-slaughtered carcass in Pennsic's August heat. I
suspect the problem would be greater, with the smaller
animals- or are you going to have them already drawn
and skinned or plucked?

If so, I kinda think that eliminates part of the
teaching process- finding out where the giblets or
organ meats are located, for example.

> I have slaughtered my share of goats, chickens, a
> couple calves,
> sheep.  Certainly *not* a favoured activity of mine.
>  I really am not a
> killer...  But I can do it when needed.  <shrug>

Agreed- I don't particularly like killing things
either, though I do it, but I will do it as necessary.

Want some help with your class? And when are you
scheduling it? We scheduled ours so we could provide
the lamb parts for the Cook's Potluck- we even
produced a real haggis ;-)

Phlip