[Sca-cooks] cross contamination

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 10 06:05:29 PST 2002

--- Nambeanntan at aol.com wrote:

> > Perhaps because some of us strictly-amateur types
> haven't ever heard of
> > it? I know it's something I'd never even
> considered, really, although I
> > was already somewhat careful.  And then the topic
> came up on the list--a
> > great way to educate those of us who trained in
> fields other than
> > culinary <g>.
> > --Maire,

Agreed. I suspect that those of us without allergies
and food sensitivities might never have heard of
cross-contamination, or given it a thought, beyound
not stirring the dinner with the spoon you just used
to stir the dog food, or perhaps not stirring the cake
batter with the spoon you just used to stir the
spaghetti sauce ;-) In fact, I had always tended to
use a particular implement as much as I could, to
avoid generating a huge pile of dishes. (Mommy
training ;-)

I know I, for one, had never even considered cooking
for more than a couple dozen people until I got
involved in SCA, beyond the odd hog roast, or
something. One of the valuable things this List does
is let those of us who are non-pros learn from those
with the pro training.

> Classically trained or not don't you need a state
> food handler's license to
> rent the kitchens?

That's one of those things which depends on where you
are. Different states and different sites have
different laws and rules. I know when we used the
school kitchen for Yasmin's Coronation feast, she was
required to pay a school kitchen employee to be on
site.

Was nice, too. She became very interested in what we
were doing, and was very helpful, particularly when we
discovered we'd forgetten the spice packet for the
crown roast, and had to go digging through the school
spices so it was properly seasoned for the Royals. She
was thrilled when I gave her one of the info packets
Yasmin had made up for the kitchen staff, including
recipes and such. I think it made a nice change for
her, from prepping the pizzas for the school lunch on
Monday ;-)

Phlip