[Sca-cooks] Re: [Sca-cooks]licensing was cross contamination

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 10 08:18:03 PST 2002

--- johnna holloway <johnna at sitka.engin.umich.edu>
wrote:
> This gets tied up also with insurance questions.
> If you rent a licensed kitchen that's been
> inspected, that's one thing. But if you use
> an unlicensed kitchen and something happens
> with food poisoning, wouldn't there be problems
> with  liability insurance in that case?
> We checked one year for one feast I did and were
> told every single dish must be prepared in the
> licensed kitchen or no coverage. This was several
> years back, so regs and society directives may have
> changed... It would be an interesting question
> should
> something like what Kiri mentioned happen with
> regard
> to an SCA feast ... who or what pays for damages and
> the lawsuits?
>
> Johnna Holloway  Johnnae llyn Lewis

Dunno for sure, but I think most SCA thinking goes
that that would be covered under the site waiver.

I know that as a warranted Chirurgeon, the insurance
holds the SCA, Inc. harmless, and we volunteers are
(hopefully) covered under the Good Samaritan laws,
unless we have higher than BFA certs in the state
we're working in. As a First Aid provider, all you
hafta do is show that your actions were "what a
prudent person would do". Dunno how that would relate
to food poisoning and related matters.

Cariadoc, you've got a greater familiarity with the
law than most of us do, as well as a great deal of
experience in SCA. Do you have any input, or suggested
places for us to look, if we're interested?

Phlip