[Sca-cooks] hog jowls

Philippa Alderton phlip_u at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 10 13:31:06 PST 2002

--- "Mark.S Harris" <mark.s.harris at motorola.com>
wrote:

> "likewise hog jowls from the butcher are relatively
> free of
> modern contaminates".
>
> The other day I saw some packages of these in one of
> the meat
> cases at my local grocery. How would you use these?
> Are they
> generally just ground up and used in things like
> sausages? Or
> is there some way these are generally cooked? I'm
> sure these
> parts weren't wasted in period. How were they used
> then. They
> did seem to be low in price.

Jowls are sometimes packaged as "jowl bacon", too,
Stefan- does that help?

If they're processed like bacon. you can use them like
bacon- otherwise, you can use them like fatback.
They're great as a flavoring agent in anything you'd
normally use either bacon or fatback in- beans, fresh
greens, etc. The only thing you really need to be a
bit careful of, is to slice them thinly if you intend
to fry them up- the skin is usually attached and can
be kinda hard on your teeth.

Another name for them is "poor man's bacon". I just
hope they don't get suddenly popular like chicken
wings and ham hocks did, and suddenly skyrocket in
price.

Phlip