[Sca-cooks] Handling special diet needs at feasts

rnewmyer rnewmyer at epix.net
Fri Jan 11 05:44:34 PST 2002

This reminded me of the chickens we raised when I was growing up. My dad
some how found a source for wide redwood siding boards and built a large
chicken house out of them. We got the peeps through my grandmother from a
hatchery as free excess production. We let them free range and one day our
dog "Trixie" got loose and decided to bite three of them, including our
rooster. This was a bird possessed by Satan himself. He would run at you and
at the right moment flap his wings enough to come right at your face. One
day I was holding a stick when he tried this and I folded him in mid-air. As
soon as he could move, he came at me again. Mom decided the best thing to do
was kill and clean all three chickens. The two hens went fine but for some
reason, my little sister let go of the roosters legs as my mom cut his head
off. He took the opportunity to run for the meadow followed closely by
Trixie. What followed was pretty amazing. The dog was completely unable to
catch the rooster. I noticed our new neighbors were watching the whole
spectacle with their mouths open. Don't think we ever did a eat that
rooster.

Griffith