[Sca-cooks] Maryland Stuffed Ham

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Fri Jan 11 09:03:57 PST 2002

Elaine Koogler wrote:

 > Great description, Master A...We really don't have much in the way of
stuffed clams here...as you said, we're more of an oyster place in winter,
 > and a crab place in the summer.  Mmmmmm....steamed crabs, softshell
crabs,
 > and, best of all, wonderful crab cakes about the size of a baseball, with
 > chunks of backfin crab meat and just enough breading to hold them
 > together...oh my!

My brother and sister-in-law live in Arnold, MD, and they both have
ridiculously busy schedules, so the last time I visited them, years ago,
I found that they had a lady come in and clean three or four days a
week, help out when they entertain, etc. While my family isn't, this
lady very definitely is, native to the Chesapeake Bay area. She
apparently uses a simple judgement criterion: if you deal properly with
steamed crabs you're all right with her. She had some doubts at first,
but then she encountered the sight of both my lady wife and son tearing
into crabs. Apparently she was won over when my son showed her how to
get at a little bit of crab meat she hadn't known about...

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com