[Sca-cooks] nibbling and buffet tables and such

Susan Fox-Davis selene at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 11 11:30:19 PST 2002

Ted Eisenstein wrote:

> A question that occurred to me on another list. . .
>
> There is a custom in some kingdoms (well, in at least one. . . )
> of having a table of nibbles and bite-sized cocktail-party-type
> food outside a vigil tent, for those waiting in line to talk to the
> person on vigil and interested bystanders.
>
> Was there anything remotely like this, in period? Not necessarily
> outside a vigil tent, but more generic; a table or five, full of
> small food items, for, oh, breaking a fast on a major high holy
> day when there's no time for a regular breakfast, or to last you
> until the real breakfast, or before or right after courts or
> gatherings-of-lords-and-retainers to discuss business. You know,
> a buffet, for when there wasn't time for a full meal, or people
> simply needed something to tide them over?
>
> Alban
> _______________

Well you know, and as we have seen in the West Kingdom recently,
new-made Knights and sometimes others are entitled to receive the
Buffet!

Somebody who was there, please describe the proceedings;  I just heard
that a new Pelican asked a boon of the King, to receive the Buffet.
Seems silly but okay...King draws his hand back for the punch, Queen
stops him, saying I'd like to deliver this one, and summons a chef who
makes a Grand Entrance with a tray of dainty foods.  Buffet, Buffet, get
it?  Dang, I wish I had done this!

Selene, Caid, but I hear things.