[Sca-cooks] What would you advise?

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 11 17:29:31 PST 2002

Magdalena wrote:
>  My friend with a bean allergy eats offboard
>  because that is almost his only option...

I understand that a bean allergy is usually also a peanut allergy. I
don't understand why it's a problem at SCA feasts. The only beans
i've seen at feasts are favas - which i believe are not related to
the beans that people are usually allergic to (of course, there's
always the issue of favism, but i think that's a different allergy)
and no peanuts (unless peanut oil was used in the cooking - i never
use it).

So, i'm curious. What beans? Where? I realize different Kingdoms and
Baronies and Shires have different traditions/standards, but they're
Out Of Period...

OK, another question, to the list at large:
If one is allergic to beans (phaseolus?), is one also allergic to
soy, or are is that a different and separate allergen?

Signed,
Beanless in the West