[Sca-cooks] What would you advise?

margaret m.p.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jan 12 08:10:31 PST 2002

snip
>Well, Margarite, that's in part why we'd love to have
>you camp with us at Pennsic ;-) You and your dietary
>restrictions would be quite welcome, and an allergy to
>peppers wouldn't be much to deal with- I know Liadan
>had a great deal of fun, experimenting with the masa
>harina for our celiac ;-)
>
>Does the allergy extend to the other nightshades, like
>potatoes and tomatoes too? And what do your other
>restictions mean? Whatever, we'd be thrilled to deal
>with them, because it would mean we finally had you at
>Pennsic with us ;-)
>
>Phlip, whose greatest pleasure is feeding her friends.......

The main reason Bear and I haven't been to Pennsic is the fact we both work
for the state of Oklahoma who's Fiscal year starts July 1. This means new
computer equipment tends to come in  August, and while my boss may feel he
can do without me for a week or so at that time of year, the same is not
true of bear who among other thing is responsible for main frame security.
How ever I turn 62 next month and will be retiring in the next three to four
years and Bear may retire at the same time. While we will probably will want
a motel room for sleeping, showers, etc (I have arthritis and no longer
sleep on the ground) we would be delighted to make your camp our
headquarters.
As to the food problems - I have diverticulitis  (which means no seeds or
nuts including corn) and far more serious Barrettes Esophageal Syndrome so
am not supposed to have fried food, spicy food, caffeine, chocolate, citrus
fruits, vegetables of the cabbage family, limited amounts of green leafy
food, and am supposed to avoid foods that cause me gas. Then to add insult
to injury I have been lactose intolerant all my live. This really doesn't
leave much variation so I do cheat from time to time. I can have root
vegetables like potatoes and beets and broiled or roasted meat and sea food
are fine as long as I keep portions small. (Lots of doggy bags when we eat
out) I have learned to ask what is in dishes which helps. I also am not
supposed to eat organ food but will indulge in baked heart when I can get
it.
The part that was worst at first was no caffeine or chocolate. I was a big
Coke drinker and adore chocolate especially bitter sweet. Now I drink a lot
of fruit juice - cranberry being my favorite and water. I have also amassed
of really good herbal "teas" that are caffeine free and carry a supply in my
purse.  Most restaurants are perfectly willing to sell me a pot of hot
water. Bear is very supportive and reminds me when I forget to ask about
what is in dishes. I do avoid soups and stews unless I'm sure what's in
them. Margarite