[Sca-cooks] What would you advise?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jan 12 04:15:36 PST 2002

>I understand that a bean allergy is usually also a peanut allergy. I
>don't understand why it's a problem at SCA feasts. The only beans
>i've seen at feasts are favas - which i believe are not related to
>the beans that people are usually allergic to (of course, there's
>always the issue of favism, but i think that's a different allergy)
>and no peanuts (unless peanut oil was used in the cooking - i never
>use it).

Favas, haricots, peanuts, black-eyed peas, lentils, peas, soy beans,
vetches, etc. are all part of the same family, but are different species.
There might be an allergy to the entire family, but I think it more likely
that the allergy is to a more closely related grouping.

>So, i'm curious. What beans? Where? I realize different Kingdoms and
>Baronies and Shires have different traditions/standards, but they're
>Out Of Period...

Favas, black-eyed peas, some vetches, peas and lentils were available in
pre-17th Century Europe.

>OK, another question, to the list at large:
>If one is allergic to beans (phaseolus?), is one also allergic to
>soy, or are is that a different and separate allergen?
>
>Signed,
>Beanless in the West

Maybe, maybe not.  They're different species and may or may not produce the
same allergens.  I think the wisest course would be to have the reaction to
the various legumes tested.

Bear