[Sca-cooks] Margurite's menu

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Sat Jan 12 14:04:57 PST 2002

Corn in general.  Also nuts, peanuts, oats, etc. which produce small
indigestible pieces that can be trapped in the little pockets that form in
the intestines.  Avoiding these deliberately reduces the quantity of
particulates that are ingested normally.  It's like not salting food because
you know there's a lot of salt already in the food.

She also needs to avoid extensive use of acidic and gas-forming foods.  I go
very easy on the cabbage family, beans and iceberg lettuce.  I make limited
use of tomatoes.

Spicing is primarily black pepper, ginger, cumin, oregano, bay, rosemary,
thyme and majoram.

Allergies are a mild lactose intolerance (fresh milk primarily and
occasionally ignored), a definite allergy to small amounts of capsicum
peppers (mild ones cause gastric distress, stronger ones will raise
blisters), and a serious reaction to commercial curry powder (fortunately,
she can usually tell on the first bite and it doesn't get ingested).  The
closest call we've had was when a friend added curry powder to a cold
cucumber soup without thinking about it and failed to warn Margaret.

Margaret's allergies have lead me to experiment with such dishes as
mushrooms stuffed with blue cheese, lightly steamed asparagus with Parmesan,
spinach tarts and artichoke pie.  I expect this year I'll add a few more to
the collection.

Bear