[Sca-cooks] What would you advise?

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Jan 12 14:47:51 PST 2002

Rosine said:
>    Alban: No, darlin', we don't put onions in everything. The impact is
> kinda heavy, however, because food and munchies are common at baronial
> gatherings, and we have 2-3 of those a week, usually with say, chicken
> wings, lumpia, a grill and sausages and meats, dips... basic picnic type

What is "lumpia"?

It sounds like a number of these items would naturally be onion free or
easy to make that way. The chicken wings, the grilled sausages and meats,
some dips.

If she brings a side dish she can eat and eats the chicken wings. Or the
side dish and the grilled sausages etc, she should get plenty to eat.

> food, all brought by different people, who now have to discard any pre-mixes
> that contain onions or "assorted spices". We're learning to hate "assorted
> spices". And of course, each cook who once proudly brought their home-made
> traditional whatever now feel constrained to not bring it because juggling
> two dishes is a real pain when you're also bringing armor, kid's stuff,
> books to share...

So, not everyone brings two dishes. Maybe you could rotate around
and each time the selected person simply brings one dish that
doesn't have onions. There will likely be more than that one dish,
plus what the lady and her husband bring, since not all dishes will
have onions.

I hope she is suitably thankful to those who do make the efforts
to provide things that she can eat. But whining about it, if that
is what she is doing, is likely to be counterproductive on several
levels.
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net