[Sca-cooks] Well, in *that* case... some recipes

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sat Jan 12 21:25:43 PST 2002

Katherine started quoting recipes from Dawson's "The Good Huswife's
Jewell" and said:

> the world's shortest and most pointless recipe for pigeon.

Perhaps, but if these recipes are in the order they are in, in the
book, then the pigeon recipe is probably referring to the chicken
recipe above it:

> To bake Chickens in a Cawdle
>
> Season them with salt and pepper, and put in butter, and so let them
> bake, and when they be baked, boile a few barberries and pruines, and
> currants, and take a little white wine or vergice, and let it boile and
> put in a little suger, and set it on the fire a little, and straine in
> two or three yolkes of egges into the wine, and when you take the dish
> of the fire, put the prunes and currants and barberies into the dish,
> and then put them in altogether, into the pye of chickins.
>
> To bake pigeons.
>
> Season them with Pepper and Salt and butter.

Then we have:
> To make muggets
>
> First perboyle them, and take white and chop them both together, and put
> Currantes, Dates, Cinamon and Gynger, Cloves and Mace, and grosse pepper
> and Suger if you will, twoo or three yolkes of Egges, and seeth them
> altogeather with Salt, and put in the stuffe into the cawles of Mutton,
> and so put them in dishes, and take two or three egges white and all,
> and put them on the cawles, and make some prettie sauce for them.

So, what is a "mugget"?

I take it that these are in order here, but from where in the
manuscript are these recipes? Are these the first in the book?
Are there numbers attached to these recipes? I'm trying to figure
out how to place the next set of recipes in referance to these, so
everything stays in the order of the original recipes since sometimes
the order does matter. Such as the first example I mentioned might
point out.

Is there any kind of table of contents in the original manuscript
that lists the recipes?

Thanks for posting these recipes.
   Mark S. Harris            Austin, Texas          stefan at texas.net