[Sca-cooks] Well, in *that* case... some recipes

Kirrily Robert skud at infotrope.net
Sat Jan 12 22:02:21 PST 2002

Stefan wrote:
>> To make muggets
>>
>> First perboyle them, and take white and chop them both together, and put
>> Currantes, Dates, Cinamon and Gynger, Cloves and Mace, and grosse pepper
>> and Suger if you will, twoo or three yolkes of Egges, and seeth them
>> altogeather with Salt, and put in the stuffe into the cawles of Mutton,
>> and so put them in dishes, and take two or three egges white and all,
>> and put them on the cawles, and make some prettie sauce for them.
>
> So, what is a "mugget"?

Well, I was assuming it was some kind of offal, but didn't really know.

> I take it that these are in order here, but from where in the
> manuscript are these recipes? Are these the first in the book?
> Are there numbers attached to these recipes? I'm trying to figure
> out how to place the next set of recipes in referance to these, so
> everything stays in the order of the original recipes since sometimes
> the order does matter. Such as the first example I mentioned might
> point out.
>
> Is there any kind of table of contents in the original manuscript
> that lists the recipes?

The recipes are from pages 17-21 of the book, roughly.  Earlier recipes
can be found at http://infotrope.net/sca/texts/good-huswifes-jewell/
where my work in progress is kept.  They're in the order in which they
appear in the book.

There's no table of contents, and the book isn't broken down into
sections much, or at least not as far as I can see.  It seems that the
author would wander along on one subject, such as "pies and tarts" until
he was distracted by something else, and go off on a tangent there, and
perhaps come back again later or perhaps not.  So you can't really draw
any conclusions from the ordering of the recipes, except that there is
a moderate likelihood (but no certainty) that two adjacent recipes are
related in some way.

On page 23, which I'm fast approaching, there is a list of "The names of
all thinges necessary for a banquet", and then it seems to go into a few
recipes for banquetting dishes. I was quite expecting a coherent section
on banquetting dishes, since that seems to be common in books from
around this time, but it only holds for a couple of pages before it goes
off in totally different directions.

Here's a quick list of recipe names, in order, from that section:

To make Manus Christi
To make a Caudle to comfort the stomacke, good for an olde man
TO make a Trifle
To make Marmelat of Quinces
To make butter paste
To make Fritter stuffe
To make a made dishe of Artechokes
To frie Bakon
To frie Chickins
To make a Sallet of all kinde of hearbes
A sauce for a conie
To make a Sallet of Lemmons
To make a sausedge

... so you can see, he's not so good at staying on topic.

Still no idea what a mugget is.  Anyone got an OED handy?

Yours,

Katherine

katherine at infotrope.net  http://infotrope.net/sca/