[Sca-cooks] Well, in *that* case... some recipes

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Jan 13 03:12:21 PST 2002

Stefan li Rous wrote:

>>To make muggets
>>
>>First perboyle them, and take white and chop them both together, and put
>>Currantes, Dates, Cinamon and Gynger, Cloves and Mace, and grosse pepper
>>and Suger if you will, twoo or three yolkes of Egges, and seeth them
>>altogeather with Salt, and put in the stuffe into the cawles of Mutton,
>>and so put them in dishes, and take two or three egges white and all,
>>and put them on the cawles, and make some prettie sauce for them.
>>

> So, what is a "mugget"?

The mugget referred to may be a veal tripe entity also known as the
margut or marrowgut. It's some kind of gut piping found only in unweaned
calves, like a very tender second esophagus (remember calves are
ruminants); its character changes entirely when the calf is weaned.
Margut is considered an indispensable ingredient for the cowboy stew
known as S.O.B. However, Michael Best, in his glossary for his edition
of Gervase Markham's "The English Housewife", simply says a mugget is
entrails or chitterlings.

What _I_ want to know is, is there a word missing following the word
"white" in the first line of this recipe?

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com