[Sca-cooks] Bukkenade, from Forme of Cury-a Smile

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Sun Jan 13 13:41:40 PST 2002

In a message dated 1/13/2002 3:31:35 PM Eastern Standard Time, troy at asan.com
writes:

> FWIW, the recipe, which figures as recipe #19 the the Forme of Cury
> edition in Curye On Inglysch, reads, in part,
>
> "19 Bukkenade. Take hennes o(th)er connynges o(th)er veel o(th)er
> o(th)ere flessh & hewe hem to gobbetes. Waische it and se(th)e hit well."
>
>   Etc., etc., more or less in the same manner as the recipe previously
> quoted. I don't know which FoC you're using, but maybe the Pegge edition
> dropped a word, or Hieatt inserted one from one of several MS copies, or
> one was simply left out when this was typed in for e-mail purposes.
> Could be anything, but again, FWIW, Hieatt seems to feel the missing
> word is "seethe".

I am using the version in Cariadoc's collection - the Pegge version - and
typed it exactly as it appears there.  I don't have COI, so couldn't look at
that - but that was one option I considered - boiling the veal first, and
then using the resultant broth to make the almond milk. That is probably what
I will do for the actual feast in June.
A friend of mine has COI - I think I will be asking for an extended loan to
compare versions.  There are a couple of other recipes that seem to be
missing a word here or there, too, that might be made more clear.

Brangwayna Morgan