[Sca-cooks] Bukkenade, from Forme of Cury-a Smile

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Sun Jan 13 12:30:08 PST 2002

Wanda Pease wrote:

> Bukkenade - XVII in Forme of Cury  (English, 1390)
> Take Henn or Conyng or Veel or other Flessh and hewe hem to gobett waische
> it
> and hit well.
>
> Modern version:
> Take chicken or rabbit or veal or other flesh and cut it into small pieces,
> wash it, and hit (something - a word seems to be missing, unless you are
> supposed to beat it) well.

FWIW, the recipe, which figures as recipe #19 the the Forme of Cury
edition in Curye On Inglysch, reads, in part,

"19 Bukkenade. Take hennes o(th)er connynges o(th)er veel o(th)er
o(th)ere flessh & hewe hem to gobbetes. Waische it and se(th)e hit well."

  Etc., etc., more or less in the same manner as the recipe previously
quoted. I don't know which FoC you're using, but maybe the Pegge edition
dropped a word, or Hieatt inserted one from one of several MS copies, or
one was simply left out when this was typed in for e-mail purposes.
Could be anything, but again, FWIW, Hieatt seems to feel the missing
word is "seethe".

> Darn!  Don't you hate it when the medieval recipe takes all the creativity
> out of cooking.  There it goes Specifying (!) the meat you have to use!  No
> room to adjust for tastes, what you have on hand, or anything!  Same with
> the herbs! ;-)

Somewhere, some-when, right here on this list, I did this with a beef
stew recipe in period and made a lot of obviously logical changes (to
accomodate allergies, modular cookery for special diets, speed, and
culminating in small portable trenchers so the King could eat it on the
run between meetings) and came up with a McDonald's hamburger...

> 	Seriously, could "hit" mean to pound as in tenderize?  The rabbit (wild) my
> brothers used to bring home needed tenderizing a bit before cooking.  Of
> course my mother (not the best cook in town) tended to fry them which didn't
> help.

To make sure they were dead? ;-)

Adamantius

--