[Sca-cooks] Period squash

david friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Mon Jan 14 16:06:56 PST 2002

>Salut!
>It's beena while since I posted, but I saw the question on period squash
>and thought I might be able to help a little.
>
>If you go to
>http://www.kfki.hu/~arthp/html/b/beuckela/
>and look at the vegetable market, you can see some period Flemish squash.

How can you tell if they are squash or melons? And if not melons, is
there a way of telling whether they are c. pepo or c. moschata, which
most of what we call squash are, or c. lageneria (sp?), white
flowered gourd, which is old world, hence more likely to be in use in
Europe that early?
--
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/