[Sca-cooks] lampreys

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jan 15 03:27:57 PST 2002

Stefan li Rous wrote:

 > Okay, so Stefan is gullible.

Ummm, that's not exactly what I had in mind. More like, someone will
write something, and you know it made absolutely perfect sense if even
Stefan understands it. Which isn't a matter of gullibility, it's more
like getting past a spell-checker or something. If it gets past every
conceivable venue for distortion or misunderstanding, and Stefan can't
find anything wrong with it, then it was a logical statement. I would
consider this more a sign of high intelligence than of guillibility. On
the other hand, the daring can use this to advantage at times ;-).

 > I still would like to hear any information about lampreys being eaten
 >  in period or their capture/raising. And I'm still wondering if
 > anyone has served them at an SCA feast.

Oh, as Brighid mentioned, there are quite a few recipes calling for
lampreys. I would estimate about a quarter of the 14th-15th century
English fish dishes  at least mention them as a possible ingredient.
Generally they are bled, scalded, and skinned before being cut into
steaks, pretty much like eels. They can then be fried, cooked in a civey
with onions, baked in pies, etc., again, pretty much like eels. I assume
they appear so commonly in English medieval cuisine because the fish
dishes reflect a somewhat more river-based fishery structure than an
ocean-based one.

As for their use at SCA events, I believe you can buy lampreys frozen,
from Canada, just as you can eels, but in the USA, at least, the places
  where lampreys are prevalent seem to view them as a slightly dangerous
(to other life forms) nuisance/pest. Consequently, their use as a food
source would be viewed with scorn comparable to my discovering a
restaurant in New York that sells, say, rats with cockroach sauce,
pigeons in their own guano, that sort of thing.

No, Stefan, as far as I know you _can't_ buy the above dishes in New
York restaurants. Which local industry, by the way, has recently been
graded as hygienically superior to that of most comparable metropolitan
areas : ).

Adamantius
--
Phil & Susan Troy