[Sca-cooks] Period squash

Terry Decker t.d.decker at worldnet.att.net
Tue Jan 15 04:00:36 PST 2002

Ribbed stems.  This is one of the taxonomic features of genus Cucurbita.
IIRC, the number of ribs (5 or 7) provides a major division in the genus.
Identifying the species from a painting is more difficult and may be
impossible, but I believe the Pre-Columbian distribution of the various
species makes C. pepo the probable choice.

Gourds, melons, cucumbers, etc. have round, unribbed stems.

Lagenaria is a genus rather than a species, so the gourds would be named L.
siceraria.

Bear