[Sca-cooks] Re: Spaghetti squash

Tara Sersen Boroson tsersen at nni.com
Tue Jan 15 06:44:01 PST 2002

I don't generally use spaghetti squash (too big for something that my
anti-food husband won't touch ;)  But, for butternut and acorn, I get
best results when I cut them in half, scoop out the seeds, brush them
with butter or oil and place them face down on a rack suspended above a
pan in the oven.  When I tried them in a pan with some water, I found
that a lot of the juice and flavor leached out and the result was quite
flavorless.  When I placed them on the pan alone, a lot of the juice
leached out and caused the same problem, though not as badly.  When I
suspend them on a rack, very little juice is lost.  They also cooked
very evenly, expecially with the convection oven.  The only problem with
this method was the little juice that did leak out and drip onto the pan
ended up burning, which was rather a disturbing smell ;)

I've also done them face up, wrapped individually in aluminum foil, in
the toaster oven.  Nice and easy when I'm cooking for myself.

-Magdalena