[Sca-cooks] re: period squash

Mercy Neumark mneumark at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 15 12:34:35 PST 2002

>I bought some "flying saucer" squash at the local farmers market last
>summer. They were about 6" - 8" across. This didn't seem too big, as >the
>seeds had not matured inside. But they were bitter, bitter, bitter.
>Inedible. Nasty. Awful. I will try again this summer, and maybe save >the
>seeds.

You're better off picking up the squash in the autumn (start in September,
depending on your area) when they are in season (I believe squashes are an
autumn harvest NOT a summer).  That's probably whey it was bitter in taste
(and the seeds not fully mature).  Most squash are best at this time.  I
know right now in Southern California the squash (many varieties) are all
very tasty now and plentiful!

Side note on naming veggies: I posted awhile back www.territorialseed.com
website...you can check out their online catalog (I believe it is up) and
look over the varieties they sell.  You might be able to find the exactname
of the veggies you are looking for...or at least one that might be close.

--Farmer Arte of the green thumb