[Sca-cooks] re: period squash

Pixel, Goddess and Queen pixel at hundred-acre-wood.com
Tue Jan 15 13:57:06 PST 2002

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002, Mercy Neumark wrote:

> >I bought some "flying saucer" squash at the local farmers market last
> >summer. They were about 6" - 8" across. This didn't seem too big, as >the
> >seeds had not matured inside. But they were bitter, bitter, bitter.
> >Inedible. Nasty. Awful. I will try again this summer, and maybe save >the
> >seeds.
>
> You're better off picking up the squash in the autumn (start in September,
> depending on your area) when they are in season (I believe squashes are an
> autumn harvest NOT a summer).  That's probably whey it was bitter in taste
> (and the seeds not fully mature).  Most squash are best at this time.  I
> know right now in Southern California the squash (many varieties) are all
> very tasty now and plentiful!
>
> Side note on naming veggies: I posted awhile back www.territorialseed.com
> website...you can check out their online catalog (I believe it is up) and
> look over the varieties they sell.  You might be able to find the exactname
> of the veggies you are looking for...or at least one that might be close.
>
> --Farmer Arte of the green thumb

Patty-pan squash is a summer squash, though, and if it's too green when
it's picked it can be bitter. IIRC, a ripe patty-pan is more of a very
pale green rather than white, although there might be white varieties that
I haven't met yet. When ripe you should be able to slice it and eat it raw
like a yellow summer squash, which it does vaguely taste like. I like it
gently fried with a touch of butter, myself.

Winter squashes, 'tis true, are ready much later in the season and last
longer after being picked.

Margaret, who has a black thumb but is very fond of squash