[Sca-cooks] stuffed turnips.

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Jan 15 15:24:22 PST 2002

"Cindy M. Renfrow" wrote:

> It all depends how long they're left in the ground. I've seen carrots 5
> inches across at the top, because they were not harvested in good time. I
> imagine such a carrot is tough, and would need to be cooked in broth to
> make it tender.

Does anyone else remember the book _Ellen Tebbits_ (Beverly Cleary, from
the mid 50s I think)? I loved that book when I was little, because Ellen
was a skinny little girl with funny hair, bookish and shy (yes, I was
once shy. Long time ago.). Anyway, there is a chapter in there where for
show and tell, she dug up this huge beet that was growing in an empty
(she thought) lot on her way to school. If I remember right, it was a
good 8" across when she pulled it up, and it did not want to come up!
And it was apparently rather tough, IIRC. Been a long time since I read
that book- not since my kids were that age...

Big carrots are rather woody- we had some that got short and stubby
once. They are easier to cook sliced rather than in strips.

'Lainie
suddenly feeling nostalgic for Henry and Ribsy and Beezus and Ramona...