[Sca-cooks] Re: Nasty flavors-

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Jan 15 18:31:37 PST 2002

A F Murphy wrote:

> OK, I'm curious about the licorice/anise/fennel thing, too. And is there
> any possibility that cilantro has any relationship? They don't taste the
> same to me, but those are my aversions. And these days, the cilantro is
> the hardest, as it keeps cropping up in foods I really like - Indian,
> Mexican... (Oh, for the days when you couldn't get in in NY... no, wait,
> you couldn't get other things, either... I'll accept the trade-off!) And
> they are aversions - they make me shudder...

I don't remember any time in my life when cilantro wasn't available in
New York, although before there was much real Mexican food, it tended to
be called by other names, usually some other culture's name as an
adjective appended to the noun, "parsley", as in Arabian parsley,
Chinese parsley, etc. All were cilantro, and then there was green
coriander, which, AFAIK, was also readily available, if you knew where
to look. And even in the "No Mexican Food in New York" days (never
really the case, but good was hard to find, as is true of many places),
hardcore Latin-American foodies (various South American groups, for
example) could even find cilantro's big brother, recau.

> But basil is no problem, I love the stuff. First herb I learned to cook
> with.

Yeah, we grew it in the back yard...

Adamantius
--