[Sca-cooks] Re: Arghhhh feast Service

Morgan Cain morgancain at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 17 03:42:31 PST 2002

> > the person arranging feast service for our event in a week and a half
has
> > now announced that the 11 people he has lined up can only reliably serve
> > high table (8 people at high table) and I'd need an additional 13 people
> > (one per table) as part of the feast service staff -- offboard and being
> > fed beforehand at the event's expense -- simply to provide simple
service
> > to the other 13 tables.

I would ask about this.  That is a REALLY high number for High Table.  Find
out what kind of service he has planned.  And I would tell this person that
since the event had not budgeted for twenty-four servers, he could pay for
the additional servers, especially since he decided they were needed so
close to the event when there was no time to adjust the budget to cover
them.

At our 12th Night a couple weekends ago, we had multiple servers for High
Table because one stayed up there to move the food around (so TRM, TRH, TE,
etc., did not have to serve themselves).  But that meant 2-3 servers for
High Table, not eleven, and we had a dozen people seated plus all the
retainers hanging around in the background.

We DID have problems because Her Majesty was on a diet, and didn't think
that the food needed to come to the table, so cut off service after the
first course, but that's a completely different aggravation, er,
story.......

We also have a policy that each table sends up someone to collect the food
and do service for that table.  This leads to other problems, because they
didn't segregate those eating on-board from those eating off-board, or
require people to fill tables, so I actually asked two groups if they would
move together to share one service, and we had a several persons who
complained because they were the only person at their table eating on-board
and we were not prepared for service for one.  And that is another.......

                                            ---= Morgan